What Should You Do if You Find a Dead Body?
Finding a dead body is a shocking and emotionally draining experience, and if you attempt to touch or move the dead body, it can put your health and safety at risk. The body of a deceased person can harbor potentially infectious bacteria that can infect those who come into contact with it. So, what should you do if you find a dead body? To ensure your safety and follow the right protocol, follow these five steps.
5 Things to Do When You Find a Dead Body
Wondering what to do with a body? It’s important to be sensible, calm and orderly. Keeping these five things in mind can help:
- Do not touch anything. This could be a situation where a crime has occurred. Evidence cannot be interfered with. Bodies can also begin decomposing very quickly. Do not touch skin or body fluid, as the body may contain potential bloodborne pathogens that can infect you and others.
- Call 911. Law enforcement officials and paramedics can determine if the person is, in fact, deceased and can make educated decisions about next steps.
- Ensure your safety. You do not know whether the dead person lost his or her life from violence, no matter how it may appear at first. If it seems the person was a victim of violence, communicate this when you call for help. If you feel like you could be in danger, remove yourself from the site and call 911 from somewhere else.
- Cooperate with medical professionals and police. Since you found the body, you may be questioned by law enforcement. Be cooperative, and try to remember as much as you can about how you found the scene.
- If it's your responsibility to clean up, strongly consider getting professional assistance. Sometimes, a dead body is found in the home by a friend or relative, in which case the cleanup is the responsibility of the family or property owner. If you are tasked with cleanup after the removal of a dead body, it is recommended that you seek professional assistance from a bioremediation company rather than attempt the cleanup yourself.
Aftermath is a professional crime scene and trauma cleanup company. For almost twenty years, we have helped families by cleaning up and disinfecting the home or property after a death. If you should find a dead body and need assistance cleaning up, contact us online or call us at (877) 872-4339.