Can You Catch COVID-19 from Cash?
We can’t live without our phones, but can they also make us sick? According to scientists at the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness, SARS-CoV-2, the viral cause of coronavirus (COVID-19), can survive for 28 days on smooth surfaces like mobile phone screens and cash money at room temperature—a much longer duration than the flu’s lifespan. Since we’re at the cusp of another flu season, there’s also fear of a COVID resurgence; and with this new research showing that the virus survives longer in cooler weather, it’s enough to give pause the next time you think of reaching for your phone or your wallet.
What Does This Mean for Business Owners?
Since COVID-19 can remain infectious on surfaces for extended periods of time, it’s imperative to reinforce good personal hygiene habits and to regularly clean and disinfect surfaces in the workplace. Residual virions can reside on surfaces like phones, keyboards, desks, door knobs and other high touch surfaces that your business really can’t afford to miss disinfecting. Here are some key questions that you should ask yourself, going into the colder months:
- Does your business have a consistent cleaning and disinfection schedule?
- Are you hiring a professional cleaning service?
- Does this professional cleaning company have expertise in deep cleaning after infectious diseases?
- Do they offer surface testing?
- Does the company use EPA-approved chemicals and are trained to follow dwell times?
In a recent Bloomberg article, Trevor Drew, the director at the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness states, “It does raise some critical issues around the need to keep on disinfecting surfaces, even when community cases are low. We still need to carry out those disinfection regimens, both personally and at a public level, even when there don’t seem to be any cases around because there may well be some residual virus that you’ve missed.”
Incorporate Verifiable Surface Testing Into Your Return-to-Work Plan
Aftermath Services’ post-disinfection verifiable surface testing utilizes RT-PCR technology to determine the presence of SARS-CoV-2 on fomites and hard surfaces. With verifiable surface testing after every deep clean, you can take a more proactive approach to COVID-19 mitigation.
Testing for COVID-19 on high touch surfaces can provide you with:
- An indicator of whether the virus is present in the workplace—triggering employers to implement additional measures like contact tracing and employee testing.
- Peace of mind and confidence that decontamination methods are effective.
- Instill confidence that you’re doing everything within your power to provide a safe workplace.
An Extra Layer of Protection with Antimicrobial Shield & Surface Testing
We understand that disinfection without on-going maintenance is only good at the moment of application. As soon as the disinfectant evaporates, the killing and inactivation of microbes stop. This is why ongoing preventative maintenance and the application of our patented antimicrobial shield to surfaces is so critical to giving you enduring protection. Aftermath Services has the expertise and technology to be a valuable weapon against COVID-19. Paired with proper disinfection and surface testing, employers can responsibly reopen or reintegrate employees back into the workplace.
If you ever find yourself in a situation where you need regular or one-time COVID-19 disinfection, Aftermath Services will get the job done correctly. It’s a guarantee we can test.
Submit a contact form for more information or call us at 877-698-6169 for immediate assistance.
- Our COVID-19 Disinfection Process & How We Can Help
- Using EPA-Registered Chemicals Against COVID-19
- Steps to Reopen Your Business